April is originally from County Armagh in Northern Ireland. She has studied at:
- Winchester School of Art, Southampton University, completing a BA (Hons) in Textile Art.
- She also studied at Kunsthøgskolen i Oslo / Oslo National Academy of the Arts (KHiO) in Oslo Norway, specialising in screen printing techniques.
- Belfast Art College, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland
April is the owner of April Mawhinney Design Studio. The studio currently designs beautiful patterns for the Home Decor market. The studio also undertakes freelance work for other design studios in the home decor, kitchen and apparel markets
Since 2015, the studio has been working with:
- Highstreet Home Decor manufactures, designing patterns for their kitchen textile ranges. Our designs can now been found in major highstreet brands around the UK, with new collections to be launched in Spring 2017.
- Selling patterns from the Pattern Library to clients & manufacturers.
- Private clients to design bespoke home decor fabrics (curtains, cushions and lampshades) for their homes.
After her degree, April worked as an in-house designer for R A Irwins, Textile Designer in Northern Ireland designing screen printed fabrics for the Home Decor market.
She specialised in Designing 6 colour multi-directional repeating patterns.
Her day-to-day job also included:
- Reworking library of designs
- Creating colourways for existing prints
- Creating new patterns to client’s requirements
- Creating colour separations
- Putting designs into repeat
- Working closely with the print technician to ensure colour matching of the designs.
In 2013, April won a Talent Development Bursary, co-funded by the Arts Council and Aspace. This allowed her to receive funding and professional development to launch her own design studio.
If you would like to know more, you can view April's LinkedIn profile at https://www.linkedin.com/in/aprilmawhinney