April is originally from County Armagh in Northern Ireland. She has studied at:
- Winchester School of Art, Southampton University, completing a BA (Hons) in Textile Art.
- She also studied at Kunsthøgskolen i Oslo / Oslo National Academy of the Arts (KHiO) in Oslo Norway, specialising in screen printing techniques.
- Belfast Art College, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland
April is the owner & Creative Director of April Mawhinney Design Studio, an Illustration studio set amongst the rolling drumlins of County Down, Northern Ireland. She has experience of working as an in-house designer & as a freelance designer for other wonderful print studios.
April oversees full creative process of the studio; designing patterns for a wide range of industries including kitchen textiles (aprons, tea towels & oven gloves) for U.K. High street brands, bedding ranges, stationery & overseas fashion brands.
Her experience includes:
- Trend research, colour palette & production of trend packs as inspiration for the studio.
- Knowledge of industry printing techniques; rotary screen printing & digital printing, including file types, colour modes & requirements.
- Working to client briefs, tight deadlines & budgets including designing in various different styles; loose watercolour florals, detailed pen & ink drawing
- Creating industry ready patterns including creating repeating patterns both in Illustrator or Photoshop,
- Full colour separation of artwork for screen printing & indexing of artwork.
- Product mockups and visuals for clients
- Reworking customers' existing collections with new layouts, scale or colourways.
In 2013, April won a Talent Development Bursary, co-funded by the Arts Council and Aspace. This allowed her to receive funding and professional development to launch her own design studio.
If you would like to know more, you can view April's LinkedIn profile at https://www.linkedin.com/in/aprilmawhinney